You can choose between two options
You can enroll only in the Skills Summer School or also in the Climate Change Summer School. Therefore, you have two options:
- Workload equivalent to 3 ECTS credits: You will follow the two-week intensive course “Speaking and Writing Skills for Academic and Career Success” from 1 to 12 July 2024. This course will enhance your writing and speaking skills to help you improve your university performance and/or advance your career.
- Workload equivalent to 6 ECTS credits: From 15 to 26 July 2024, you will have another two-week intensive course, “A Multidisciplinary Approach to Climate Change.” This second course offers a multidisciplinary view of climate change at the university level. Please, see our Climate Change Summer School website for full details.
Objectives of Speaking and Writing Skills for Academic and Career Success
The SSS is a two-week study program, taught in English, in which students will focus on important skills they need to master to be successful university students and professionals, such as effective listening and reading skills, presenting to large audiences, or writing papers. In addition, students will work in small teams to make a presentation to the whole group, and they will practice their writing skills.
Public speaking and presentation techniques are designed to prepare you to make unforgettable presentations. You will learn communication techniques and how to connect with the audience. In particular, the objectives are:
- Acquire knowledge and skills necessary to make attractive and successful presentations.
- Acquire knowledge and skills to achieve efficient, transparent, and fluent communication with your audience.
Reading efficiently and writing high-quality academic papers are skills you will work on in the course to be able to write excellent compositions for academic and professional purposes. You will:
- Acquire knowledge and skills necessary to process written information efficiently being able to use different techniques depending on your goal.
- Acquire knowledge and skills to write texts conveying your message in a formal, coherent, and interesting manner that will attract, entertain, or convince your audience.
In addition to the primary objective, the course has a secondary objective. The complementary objective is to provide an enriching study abroad experience. Studying abroad provides students with extraordinary benefits in terms of academic, cultural, and personal enrichment.
Academic Guide / Syllabus
Skills Summer School: SSS Syllabus 2023
Climate Change Summer School: CCSS Syllabus 2023
Schedule of the Skills Summer School
There will be 3 or 4 hours of class per day, from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Normally, classes will occupy 4 days of the week, with the fifth day consisting of off-campus academic activities. However, it may be necessary to move activities to the afternoon.
We will publish the detailed schedule here before the start of the program. Unfortunately, we cannot announce it well in advance, as institutions only confirm the dates of most academic visits at short notice. In addition, the booking of some visits depends on the number of students finally enrolled, and many students enroll very close to the start of classes.
Academic visits and cultural and social events
Course venue of the Skills Summer School
See where our classes will take place: INEF of Universidad Politécnica de Madrid.
If you wish, you can live on campus in one of the many student residences near INEF. See here for on-campus student housing options.